Friday, September 12, 2008

Funny Stories of the Weak

On Tuesday, I had a meeting with some buyers from Intel. Which at my job is a pretty big thing. Intel is our largest customer and doesn't like "new" people to join their inner circle. Some how my boss convinced them to let me in their circle. I was really nervous about the meeting and somewhat stressed out. I don't want to look like an idiot in front of these people...which I tend to do in most, if not all situations. So I prep all morning for this meeting. Before I leave to go to work in the morning, I pretty cranky towards my husband...sorry about that Nick. I was really really stressed out about this meeting. Anyway I am stressed and nervous and just have knots in my stomach because I want to present myself in a good way.

At one o'clock, I headed out to the car to drive over to Intel. If you live in Phoenix right now, you know how humid it is and how much rain we have gotten this summer. You also may have noticed a huge increase in the number of mosquitoes flying about due to this large amount of moisture pooling up. And if you have ever been around me when I have been bitten by these flying blood suckers, you know that when I get bitten, I develop unusually large golf ball size lumps at the site of the bite. So like I said, I am walking to the car, when I feel something on my face. Naturally I slap my face. In doing so, killing the mosquito that just bite me and mashing its bloody remains all over my face.

I started to panic. "Oh no" I thought to myself as a rushed into the car and pulled down the visor to see myself in the mirror. My boss in the seat next to me started to chuckle. "Oh my gosh no!" I screamed in my head. There in the mirror, looking at me was a blood streak across the entire length of my right check with the remains of the brutal attacker as well as a large swollen red bump. My boss trying to diffuse the situation said "hey don't worry about when you get old you get lots of strange things on your face." "What?" I thought to myself. I am developing a softball size lump on my face before a very important meeting and your telling me that old age brings 'strange things on your face'. What does that have to do anything? He changes the subject and starts talking about something or other. I have to admit I was listening I was fixated on the enormous growth appearing on the right side of my face.

Within thirty minutes, we were at our destination. The lump had not gone down, if anything it looked more red. My boss looked at me as we walked in and I can tell by his distorted facial expression that he is trying hard not to laugh. The first thing my boss says to the people we are meeting with is, and I quote, "Lisa had a little incidence with a crazed wild beast". They all laughed but still stared at my face in horror. I think God was trying to teach me a lesson in humility. I am not sure.

No comments: